My horn is as finished as it’s going to be (hopefully!) and ready for latex. If I can get it covered in latex by Friday, Bill can actually do a cast while I’m visiting for MomoCon.
I hope that I can use the one I’ve made for the right and the left horns, because I think that having to sculpt another one might give me a nervous breakdown.
Lots of pictures and descriptions below the cut!
This is what I started with. After Bill scaled them for me, I printed out a pair of horns and made thin cardboard templates. Then I started piling on the clay.
I made a base so that I could stand the horn up, and it ended up causing me a lot of trouble in the end. But I needed to do it so that I could keep piling the clay on and make it more three-dimensional.
Somewhere along the way, I decided that it would be a good idea to put rings around it to add to the three-dimensionalness, because it was still too flat in some places. I was right; it actually was a good idea. I ended up working from the middle to the top, and then down to the bottom. It helped me visualize what I was supposed to be doing and what the overall form was supposed to look like. It also made it a little easier to smooth the clay…
…so that it would look like this. This is still too thick compared to what it’s supposed to look like, but it’s better to be too thick than too thin. You’ll notice that it doesn’t stand up anymore—the base made the horn misshapen, so I ended up cutting it away. It ended up being a little easier to work with this way, because I could roll it between my hands and round out the base, but it tends to depress whenever it sits for a while, so I always have to round out the underside whenever I start working with it again.
Next up was putting ridges in the front and back—I’ll cover that in Part 2.